These are the most addictive digestives biscuits ever! They are lower in calories than the store bought ones because we use less butter and no sugar, but there is a load of chocolate! :)
Ingredients(Makes 2-3 dozen cookies depending on size)
1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
1/4 cup of whole wheat
5 tbsp of Splenda
1 tsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3 tbsp of low calorie butter (I use I can't believe it's not butter light)
1/4 cup of almond milk/cashew milk
pinch of salt
Chocolate to cover (about 300 g if cover 1 side. Double that amount to cover both sides.)
Instructions (preheat ovwen 375 degrees F)
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Rub the butter into the dry mix with your hands. (This is much faster than cutting it in.) The mix should resemble fine crumbs.
- Add in the nut milk and still until the dough comes together. (You may need to add more milk.) It should feel tacky but not too soft like a bread dough.
- On a Silpat or parchment paper roll out the dough until it is wafer thin. (about 3-4 millimeters) Cut it to the shape you want and gather the scraps to roll out again. You may need to let the dough rest as glutton will form.
- Bake for 7 minutes, rotate the cookies and bake for another 7 minutes. The top of the cookies should be golden brown. Check to see that the bottom is also brown. If the bottom has no browned, flip the cookies over and bake for another 5-6 minutes until that side is about the same.
- Cool on a rack.
- In a microwaveable bowl, heat the chocolate in 1 minute intervals, stirring between heating to melt evenly. (If your microwave is strong, heat in shorter burst such as 45 seconds)
- Spread the chocolate on to one side of the cookie and let it harden in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour. (Coat both sides and cool on parchment for easy removal)